As we approach winter, the team at Seaview Plumbing would like to draw your attention to the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning and how you can keep your family safe.

 What is carbon monoxide poisoning?

It’s caused by burning carbon-based fuels (such as natural gas or LPG) in oxygen-poor environments. This can be from incorrectly installed or faulty gas appliances, or gas appliances in enclosed spaces.

How can I tell if there is a carbon monoxide leak in my home?

A licensed gas fitter (including our team at Seaview Plumbing) can test the carbon monoxide levels in your home. Carbon monoxide is referred to as the “silent killer” because you cannot see, smell or taste it. Early warning signs of carbon monoxide poisoning are often ignored or misdiagnosed as they can be similar to flu-like symptoms. If you experience symptoms when using gas appliances in your home (but you are ok when out in the fresh air) seek immediate medical attention.

Which domestic appliances can be at risk of producing carbon monoxide?

Poorly ventilated gas-burner stovetops and gas heaters are some of the main causes of carbon monoxide production. DIY installations and installations by unqualified technicians is one of the major risk factors. Older gas appliances are also a risk and may need to be replaced if they are producing carbon monoxide.

What can you do to prevent the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning?

To prevent the production of carbon monoxide, you should always get a qualified gasfitter to install and maintain all gas appliances. Regular maintenance can also ensure the safety of your gas appliance and increase effectiveness (and therefore lower costs!). We advise having your gas appliances serviced at a minimum of every two years by a qualified gasfitter.

To view more carbon monoxide safety information and videos from the South Australian Government visit here.

Seaview Plumbing can test and service your gas appliances, without burning a hole in your pocket. If you would like to know more about our gas services in Adelaide, contact us today!